Been wanting to make a Pumpkin Cupcake since September and finally got to baking yesterday! After many searches & recipes added to Evernote - found one that had the flavors I wanted - a bit of maple in there and these are yummy!
I used a pan similar to this one, cut them in half and filled with the frosting & topped with some chopped nuts. Adjusted baking time to about 18 minutes.
Recipe is a layer cake from Very Best Baking:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1/2 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 11 ozs. cream cheese (an 8-oz pkg plus a 3-oz pkg), softened
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons maple flavoring*
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts and nut halves
COMBINE flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in small bowl. Beat sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs; beat for 2 minutes. Beat in pumpkin, evaporated milk, water and vanilla extract. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared cake pans.
BAKE for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 15 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
FOR MAPLE FROSTING
BEAT cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar in large mixer bowl until fluffy. Add maple flavoring; mix well.
CUT each cake in half horizontally with long, serrated knife. Frost between layers and on top of cake, leaving sides unfrosted. Garnish with nuts, if desired.