Trying to take advantage of the Strawberry season and made these Strawberry cupcakes. Came across this recipe from Sprinkles on Martha's blog:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2/3 C strawberries
- 1/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside.
- Place strawberries in a small food processor; process until pureed. You should have about 1/3 cup of puree, add a few more strawberries if necessary or save any extra puree for frosting; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, mix together milk, vanilla, and strawberry puree; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the milk mixture; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing.
Then I topped with this recipe I adapted from Wilton:
Strawberry French Buttercream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5-6 large strawberries, pureed
I love making traditional Buttercream - but let me tell you this was SO worth the extra effort! I could just sit with the bowl. Seriously.
I frosted my cupcakes a little light and have some left over - thinking going to be a fruit dip. So good.
Hope you try this yummy "Taste of Spring" cupcake!