While it's not as fancy as the cute cupcakes I posted yesterday and also not the ones I had first envisioned creating - this was the end result.
I started with a sponge cake recipe from here:
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Separate the eggs. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until very thick and lemon colored. Beat in sugar gradually. Add water, lemon extract and lemon rind. Beat in flour.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Then add cream of tartar and salt. Beat mixture until whites are stiff, but not until they are dry. Fold this whipped mixture into yolk mixture.
Pour batter into cupcake tins and bake at 325 for 18-22 minutes.
I found this recipe to make about 36 cupcakes.
I used my new cupcake pan to have holes for filling:
The pan worked great! I sprayed the silicon "plugs" really well with Pam (vegetable oil spray) and waited 15 minutes to let it cool down before attempting removing.
Then made some Strawberry Whipped Cream:
- 1 Cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-2 Tablespoon powdered sugar
- 6-8 Strawberries, mashed
Whip cream and sugar together until soft peaks form, add strawberries and again beat into soft peaks.
I found and increased the recipe from here.
I then used the decorator tool to fill the cupcakes:
And then I tried something, which failed & will be for another post - I have not given up! So as a back up I topped the remaining cupcakes with the little bit of whipped cream I had left and added a slice of strawberry on top. No one around knew any better.
Have a great weekend! Any fun plans?